City above own bylaws

Suddenly waken by BEEPS, not again. After one hour of consistent beeps as one loader backs up as the other moves forward, then the one moves forward and the other backs up; constant beeps on February 9 between 1:30 to 4:30 a.m. 

I called the city police while these two loaders where in full swing on Baker and Ward streets. I called the police to inquire about the bylaw and was told the city is exempt from the noise bylaw. We had a nice conversation even though I was struck with shock to know that I had no legal right to sleep in a peaceful quiet environment. 

A second call to the police was made at 4:30 a.m. to announce to the officer on call that the noise hasn’t stopped and I don’t see it taking four hours to clear the snow that needed to be removed, so while I am awake I may as well take pictures. The officer agreed it would help.

In the light that I had already complained to the city public works one month ago on the first account of disturbance and suggested to do their work load in the downtown core at 5:30 a.m. instead, there have since been three other incidents of sleepless nights due to the beeps; even though there have been many other complaints from residents in the area that they didn’t think it was going to stop.

Perhaps the city public works crew is not subjected to the noise bylaw; they are in violation of public mischief, it would seem, since an appropriate solution was made possible and ignored. This method of safety in beeps is a loud pitch that even after four hours of exposure the beeps stay in your head for two days and becomes a serious issue. 

It is even a harder issue to face if no one is appointed to resolve it; all one can do is make other suggestions to resolve this annoyance: one loader operating and one flagman for the safety issue and no beeps executed is an example along with the option to operate the workload on Baker Street at 5:30 a.m. It is my hope that this community exhibits a spirit of cooperation.

Jana Harmon, Nelson