LETTER: Handling of ER called ‘bad medicine’

So as you talked about the 80 per cent of ER visits that were coded 4 or 5, I wondered about the other 20 per cent

Andrew Neuner, Vice President Community Integration for Interior Health, I listened to your and Dr. Jeremy Etherington’s presentation cancelling our ER through a loudspeaker, as I stood outside the Kimball building in the dark, holding a candle.

And as I listened to your reasoned and quietly slick deliveries, I realized that your mandate was not to deliver healthcare services to the population of interior BC, but only to those persons who lived in a density that was “cost effective.”

So as you talked about the 80 per cent of ER visits that were coded 4 or 5 (not needing the attention of anyone more professional than a care aide) I wondered about the other 20 per cent. Five hundred people live north of Kaslo, most of them 45 minutes to an hour’s drive away. We’ve been written off.

It costs more to deliver healthcare to rural areas, and that’s a given. But by making your decisions based on money, not people, you have not only created a bad situation for those of us affected by your continual health cuts, but you have created a bad situation for yourselves — you think that you can ignore inflammation in the group, when this same inflammation in an individual would be treated as a symptom of disease.

This is bad medicine.

Instead of problem solving by fixing a solution and then working toward it (which was the case by closing the Kaslo Hospital ER) why would you not use the information presented in the Ross Report (for one) to help us out?

What we need is staff 24 hours a day in the Kaslo Hospital to help people who need medical attention right away.

It was clear from your remarks to council where you felt the real problem lay — with the physicians.

These people who don’t want to work 80 hours a week, who resent nurse practitioners, and who want to make a high six figure income are just like IHA executives. The reason we don’t have 24/7 healthcare in Kaslo is because you people stated the problem in such a way as to exclude that outcome.

By refusing to renew the contracts of physicians who refused to work ER, we lost our daytime physicians. Earn your salary by finding the compromise and work for us, not against us.

The problem here is simple and won’t go away: We need to have staff available at our health centre 24 hours a day.

It doesn’t need to be doctors; a nurse or nurse practitioner would be adequate. Please redefine the problem in terms of providing service to everyone instead of 95 per cent of us. I think you will find that the answers are already there.

 

Harvey Armstrong

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Totem pole considered cultural appropriation removed from Nelson’s Hume School

The pole had also become rotted and was seen as dangerous to students

CHECK THIS OUT: Listen up at Nelson Public Library

Avi Silberstein writes about audiobook options at the library

BUSINESS BUZZ: Rising from the ashes, city eyes up to $200M in projects

Darren Davidson’s monthly column about business in Nelson

Kootenay mom turns COVID lockdown into positive action

Take a Hike runs from the Kootenay Columbia Learning Centre in East Trail

B.C. reports 91 new cases as officials remain worried over ‘clusters of COVID-19

There have now been a total of 8,395 cases in B.C. since the pandemic began

‘Won’t be gathering for Thanksgiving:’ Trudeau says COVID-19 2nd wave underway

In all, COVID-19 has killed about 9,250 people in Canada

Four more cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health

There are 31 active cases in isolation in the health region

Canada’s active COVID-19 cases top 10,000 as daily new cases triple over the past month

Dr. Tam repeated her warning to young people, who have made up the majority of recent cases

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

First 8 months of fatal overdoses in B.C. have now exceeded 2019 death toll

Nine people died every two days in August, BC Coroners Service data shows

Liberal effort to reset policy agenda panned by rivals as too much talk, not action

Trudeau said it’s ‘all too likely’ families won’t be able to gather for Thanksgiving next month

‘Show us the money’ for cannabis, local governments tell B.C.

Municipal tax, transit revenues falling as costs rise

Most Read