This product contains a high dosage of cannabis and its packaging is attractive to children. Photo: Submitted

This product contains a high dosage of cannabis and its packaging is attractive to children. Photo: Submitted

LETTER: My child accidentally ate cannabis gummies

From reader Stephanie Arsenault

I would like to send a warning to parents especially and my community in regards to cannabis edibles packaged like a common and very well known candy. We had a recent incident where my son was with some friends. His friend left a few of his belongings in our car. My son saw what he thought was a package of Sour Patch Gummies when in reality they were cannabis edibles.

He ingested two of them before he thought to himself that they tasted odd. He took a better look and realized what he just ate and came to us (his parents) and told us what happened. My son has never had any marijuana in his life and he just took a 200 mg dose! Apparently a “normal” dose is 2.4 mg according to poison control.

My son had a really bad experience with nausea, dizziness and hallucinations. They lasted about 24 hours. I just can’t believe that these substances are out there! And why make one gummy be such a high dose? How can the government allow that packaging? It’s really disheartening.

Stephanie Arsenault

Nelson