The most exciting election in Alberta in over 40 years saw 43 percent of the eligible voters choosing not to vote. This is similar to the figures in the last federal election.
The reasons many people choose not to vote are:
1) Politicians very often lie to us,
2) Very often they do not directly answer the questions posed to them,
3) They deny statements that have been caught making on tape or on television,
4) A candidate’s promises are hollow because they must vote the party line,
5) The hypocrisy of the system is that if the present government was sitting in the opposition benches, they would be criticizing the same bills they are now trying to pass,
6) Our undemocratic system where majority governments are elected with a minority of the votes,
7) In many ridings the outcome is well known before election day so why bother going to vote, especially in bad weather?
8) Does it really make a difference who runs (ruins) this country?
9) Too many times the government passes legislation they promised they were opposed to (e.g. HST, NAFTA),
10) An election is a game designed to fool as many people as possible every time.