1. Alarm bells need to sound about the Trail hospital (5,941 local readers)
Following the Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital’s postponement of surgeries due to increased infection rates, Winlaw resident Moe Lyons’s letter claimed the problem was worse than the hospital realized, and that there were many unreported infections following surgeries there.
2. International student left Nelson after just three weeks (5,891 local readers)
Nelson resident Tamara Mickel’s letter alleged that her international homestay student suffered racist attitudes at L.V. Rogers Secondary School.
3. It might happen to you (4,470 local readers)
Bernie Brown, also known as Bubbles the Clown, called for more understanding of people with mental illness in language that was both poetic and direct.
4. A fine balance in Nelson’s downtown (4,353 local readers)
Mari Plamondon, co-owner of Waits News, referring to some of the people who spend time on the sidewalk outside her store, said she tries to treat everyone with respect and without judgment.
5. A memorial for Mary Jane (2,339 local readers)
Glade resident Rod Retzlaff penned this mock obituary for Mary Jane, personifying the marijuana of yesteryear, who is survived by her son Cannabis, who has different priorities.