In spite of the cold weather Kootenay Lake saw about 600 fisher people brave the elements to take part in the 2nd Annual BC Family Day Fishing Derby on Kootenay Lake.
The event was organized by Canadian Training Resources of Calgary, and hosted by the Dock ‘n’ Duck Pub, Family Grill and Lodge in Balfour.
Hector Sandoval of Creston won $10,000 for his Rainbow Trout that measured just under three feet long and weighed in at pounds.
To the dismay of many seasoned participants, Sandoval had never been fishing before this weekend. Bruce McIntosh won the top prize for his Dolly Varden, a $2000 win for a fish weighing 14 pounds and was 33 and 3/4 inches long.
Over 220 boats and approximately 600 fishing enthusiasts took to the lake throughout the three day event, and over $30,000 in prizes were given away.
Approximately 420 participants came from outside the Kootenay region, adding a boon to the local tourism hospitality scene during a traditionally slow time.
For pictures and more information check out the website at http://www.ctrcanadaderby.com/2014-winners.html
Congratulations to all of the following winners:
- $10,000, Hector Sandoval, weight 18 lbs, 34-5/8″ long
- $1000, David Jamieson , weight 16.5 lbs, 34-1/2″ long
- $500, Rick Carlson, weight 19.5 lbs, 34″ long
- $2000, Bruce McIntosh, weight 14 lbs, 33-3/4″ long
- $1000, Kirk Daley, weight 11.5 lbs, 32-3/8″ long
- $500, John York, weight not available, 32-1/8″ long
Bonus Prize Give-Aways:
- $6,000 West Coast Fishing Trip, Neil Wieldon of Cranbrook
- Bonnie Quadttrucci of Balfour who won the Mercury Trolling Boat Motor from Lancer Marine
- $3000 Mawdsley Lake Fishing Lodge Trip in Saskatchewan, Maureen Whieldon
- $1000 Online Shopping Spree Hector Sandoval of Creston
- $1000 Online Shopping Spree Tim Tansy of Spokane