Extra steps are being taken to prevent a tragedy in Nelson similar to last year’s ammonia leak in Fernie.
Nelson and District Community Complex manager Marty Benson said Tuesday that a direct outdoor exit will be installed this year from the facility’s refrigeration room at a cost of $125,000.
The move is meant to avoid a similar scenario like the one that occurred last October when three workers were killed following an ammonia leak at the Fernie Memorial Arena.
Benson said WorkSafe BC inspected every Regional District of Central Kootenay facility following the incident and gave its stamp of approval to the NDCC.
The new exit, however, will be done on the advice of a consultant. Currently there is no direct route outdoors from the room. A door will be installed, along with a staircase to the parking lot below.
“There is still additional work that is being recommended to ensure the additional safety of workers,” said Benson. “So for us to go above and beyond in some cases to ensure worker safety and the safety of the public.”